Print this Page

About Us

Mehfoud Elementary School, located in the Varina District on Buffin Road, was built in 1955 and originally named Henrico Central School. Until the summer of 1969, it was one of several African-American schools in Henrico County. When “freedom of choice” failed to produce integration, dual zones were abolished in favor of a single, non-racial zone plan for the school system. The school was closed during the 1969-70 school year. In the fall of 1970, the school was reopened as an integrated school to house the first and second grades of the overcrowded Varina Elementary School. The school was renamed Varina Annex. In 1987, the school was renamed again and called Anthony P. Mehfoud Elementary School, after a member of the Henrico County Board of Supervisors.

Permanent link to this article: https://mehfoud.henricoschools.us/about-us/